Cubot Smartphones Guide
In this step-by-step guide, I explain how to update the firmware of Cubot smartphones. The Android firmware update allows you to update the operating system to the latest version, improving performance, functionality, and security.
If you have a Cubot mobile phone, you will surely have noticed that the Chinese manufacturer does not release firmware updates via OTA. For some strange reason, Cubot smartphones have to be updated in the old way: via PC.
Having your smartphone updated to the latest available firmware version allows you to have the most updated version of the operating system, better performance, and updated security patches. Performing the Cubot firmware update is quite simple but the steps to follow are several and must be followed in precise order.
- This guide is valid for all Cubot smartphone models produced from 2018 onwards and also applies to the latest models such as Cubot X20 Pro.
- The firmware update deletes any data present on the smartphone. Make sure to backup all your data before proceeding.
- Download tools and ROMs only from reputable sites.
- If during the procedure you encounter any problems or the flash does not start or fails, perform all the steps again.
Software and ROM downloads
The first step is the find firmware for the Cubot from this site and downloads these two files:
- ROM for your smartphone
- Sp Flash Tool
If you use a PC with Windows 7 or Windows 8 you must also download the drivers and install them. If you use a PC with Windows 10 you don’t need to download any drivers. If you use Mac or Linux, unfortunately, there are no compatible tools.
Once the download of the files is completed, and the possible installation of the drivers, extract the files from the ZIP archives keeping them in two separate folders.
ROM flash on Cubot smartphone
To install the ROM on your mobile phone you can follow the steps that I explain below. Keep the smartphone disconnected from the PC, I will tell you in the process when to connect it.
- Open the FlashTools folder, look for the FlashTools icon, right-click on it and run as administrator.
- At this point, a screen like the following will open, make sure you are on the Download tab. In the Download Agent field press “choose” and choose this file from the FlashTools folder: “SP_Flash_Tool_exe_Windows_v5.1512.00.000> MTK_AllInOne_DA”.
- In the Scatter-loading File field press “choose” and insert the “MT6580_Android_scatter” file that you find inside the folder where you extracted the ROM.
- In the menu select the Firmware Upgrade item.
- Make sure your smartphone is NOT connected to the PC.
- Press the green arrow button Download.
- Turn off your smartphone.
- Connect the phone to the PC using the USB-C cable that you found in the package.
- At this point, if you have performed all the steps correctly, the firmware update of your Cubot smartphone will start. During the ROM flash, the bottom bar will turn red, purple and yellow, don’t worry and wait for the process to end.
- At the end of the procedure, you will receive a confirmation message.
- At this point, you can disconnect the smartphone, turn it on, and enjoy the updated firmware.
Once the firmware update is complete you will find yourself in your hands a smartphone formatted and restored to factory conditions.
The first time you turn it on you will need to reconfigure it and restore your Google account and your backups.
For more articles visit this website